Two Coffey County men were electrocuted while working on an oil well near Chanute.
Neosho County Sheriff Jim Keath said Bradley S. Fischer, 32, discovered his brother, Stephen R. Fischer, 38, of Burlington, had been electrocuted at an oil field pump jack after arriving at his job site on Tuesday. Bradley Fischer told officers his brother and a cousin had been working at the location.
Fischer told officers he stopped at the job site to pick up his brother and Jamie DeVore, 19, of Le Roy, to return home for the day. He discovered his brother near the pulling unit, but couldn’t find DeVore, he told officers.
Officers discovered DeVore also had been electrocuted near the pulling unit, Keath said
An investigation by the Neosho County Coroner’s Office and sheriff’s department investigators determined the accident occurred when a boom on the pulling unit made contact with overhead power lines.
Both men were working for Birk Oil, of Burlington.