Newport News, Virginia
A cable installer who was electrocuted when he touched a high-voltage line in Fairfax County Monday morning was identified yesterday as Ricky R. Hughes, 42, of Newport News.
Police said Hughes was installing cable television lines as a subcontractor for Cox Cable. About 10:30 a.m., Hughes was standing in the bucket of a cherry picker in the 1300 block of Beulah Road, just off Route 7, when he came in contact with a 19,500-volt line. The shock killed Hughes instantly, police said.
Police said they did not know yesterday whether Hughes or the bucket touched the line.
This is the 16th power line accident report we’ve received this year.